There are many reasons to love living in Miami. Our love affair with the Magic City started on a spring break trip here in college. Now when we aren’t working, we get to soak up the beach, the exhilarating night life, and amazing cuisine. Here we share some of the top reasons we love our hometown of Miami, Florida.
1. Mild Temperatures
Sammy, one of our junior designers, moved to Miami from New Jersey to escape the frigid Northeastern winters. He was not disappointed with what was in store. The weather is amazing year-round, with summer temperatures reaching an average of just 95 degrees in the summer thanks to cool ocean breezes. Winter temperatures are equally mild, ranging between 60 and 80 degrees.
2. Miami’s Economy
Miami has one of the most diverse economies of any city in the United States. It’s a great place for small entrepreneurial businesses and international corporations alike to do business. Here are some of the major industries that thrive in this seaside city:
- International Trade: As a major port of international trade, the Port of Miami handles more than 10 million pallets of freight annually and employs more than 176,000 people. Additionally, it serves as a major cruise ship port.
- Hospitality Industry: Over 13.9 million people come to Miami every year, adding over $29 billion to the local economy. Over 80 percent of those people travel for leisure.
- Investments & Banking: A study the NewLink Group counted over 150 non-traditional banks and investment funds doing business in Miami including over a dozen investment banks, almost 20 private-equity firms, five dozen hedge funds and over five dozen wealth-management firms. The city is also home to more than 200 family offices. These firms handle investments for one or more wealthy families. Ian McCluskey, a vice president with NewLink says that he believes that the financial industry in Miami handles over $300 billion in assets.
3. Miami Restaurants
One of the reasons that we love Miami is because of the many great privately-owned, small restaurants in the city. Regardless of what you are hungry for, you can easily find it in Miami.
Here are 5 of our office’s favorites:
- Ocio features Italian dishes with a Miami flare including filet mignon, carpaccio, and citrus marinated grilled octopus.
- Red Carpet Italian lovingly combines fresh spices and ingredients into secret family recipes to create a memorable red carpet dining experience.
- Maria’s Greek Restaurant has been serving diners huge portions of moussaka and enormous gyros for more than 30 years.
- Shaddai Fine Lebanese Cuisine features great Indian food in a casual atmosphere. The staff here is amazing with the chef making frequent trips to the dining room making sure that everything is top notch.
- Siam Bistro offers diners a mix of great Thailand and Vietnamese food served by the owner who frequently makes small talk with the customers
4. Things to Do
There is never room for boredom when you live in Miami. Getting around Miami is easy thanks to the Metrorail, over 5,500 miles of public streets, and an active bus system. Some of our favorite Miami activities include:
- Professional sports: Miami has four professional sports teams with soccer on its way.
- Museums: There are over 13 museums in the city, including the Perez Art Museum, HistoryMiami, and Miami Children’s Museum.
- Beaches: You can’t live in Miami without at least an occasional trip to the beach. From Lummus Park to Crandon Park, there’s plenty of white sand for everyone.
These are just a few of the reasons we are happy we made Miami home. If you don’t already live here, we’d love for you to join us!